If you are interested in applying to Dr. Arthur Janov's Primal Center as a patient, please read the sections below on medical matters, international or out-of-state applicants, non-English therapy, minors, insurance, and living in Los Angeles.
- We will be happy to send you the list of fees upon your request.
- Would you please go to our online questionnaire link and fill it out thoroughly. Either send it to us electronically (there is an "E-mail Questionnaire" button at the bottom of the online questionnaire), or print out the questionnaire and mail it to us through regular mail.
- Write a 2 to 3 page typed autobiography, in English, to give us a general outline of your life.
- Mail or email (a) your autobiography, (b) a recent photograph of yourself, and (c) your questionnaire to:
Dr. Arthur Janov's Primal Center
209 Ashland Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Phone: (310) 392-2003
Fax: (310) 392-8554
For those who are under current medical treatment, a release and a report of patient's condition must be sent to us prior to starting therapy. The patient must agree to continue his/her medical treatment as prescribed. If necessary, we can recommend a psychiatrist in Santa Monica who works with Primal patients.
International or Out-of-State Applicants
The visa requirement came into effect on October 1, 2003.
The details are as follows:
* All passengers intending to enter the USA on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) will be required to present a machine readable passport (MRP).
* Passengers traveling to the USA with a non-machine readable passport will require a valid US entry visa, even if they are citizens of a country within the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
* Children traveling on a parent's passport (be it machine readable or non-machine readable) cannot benefit from the Visa Waiver Program.
* Applying for a US visa is a lengthy process which can take several weeks. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that:
- All Visa Waiver nationals who hold a non-machine readable passport should obtain a machine-readable passport before their next visit to the USA.
- Children traveling on their parent's passport should obtain their own machine-readable passport prior to traveling to the USA.
We strongly advice you to check with the U.S. consulate in your country to find out you the exact requirements for entry to the United States.
In order to accommodate those applicants who come from far away, and who cannot make two trips to Los Angeles we can upon request schedule an interview close to a possible starting date.
We are also set up to do intake interviews via Skype. We will be happy to provide you with all necessary information.
Generally, if an intake interview is scheduled close to the starting date there is already a fairly good possibility of being accepted, although this is by no means automatic. (Please indicate on the questionnaire where and how you want the intake interview to take place.)
International applicants must take individual responsibility for arranging housing and transportation. We will provide you with a list of nearby motels. However applicants are responsible to make their own reservation. Please inform us where you will be staying.
In some cases, we will consider doing the therapy with the help of a translator. Please note that the therapy fee will be increased, independently of the translator's fee. The patients will have to retain and directly compensate their translator. Please check with us if you are interested in this possibility. Groups are conducted in English. Please know that in order to live in America it is certainly preferable to have some ability in English.
For those applicants who are minors, parental consent is required. We have found that young people do very well in Primal Therapy so long as their home environment is suitable.
Some insurance companies will pay at least in part for therapy. Please check with your insurance agent regarding this possibility, and/or check your policy.
Living in Los Angeles
The Primal Center is located in the Santa Monica district of the city of Los Angeles, California. It is a few blocks from the ocean. Find us on Google map.
We are often asked about the cost of living in the Los Angeles area. It is difficult to say, exactly, but the expenses of living in Los Angeles seem to equate with that of any other big city.
Please note: We need all application items - including your autobiography - on file for your application to be complete. Thank you.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the application
Back to top